The climatic conditions, especially the airflow regimes, of climatically
static and dynamic cave systems are today not fully understood.
The Working Group Cave- and Subway-Climatology at the Geography Department
of the Ruhr-University Bochum focuses on the following topics:
- the detailed investigation of the climatic conditions of different cave systems in order to answer questions regarding the:
- the interdependence between the characteristics of different meteorological elements inside the caves
- exchange processes with the atmosphere
- the detection and functioning of circulation systems
- the detection and description of the touristic impact on the climate of show caves.
- the study of cave microclimate
- the study of recent sinter formation and the role of CO2-content in the cave air and evaporation processes for the paleoclimatic interpretation of older speleothems
In addition to that the group focuses on the connections of cave climatology with the
new field of subway climatology because the two fields have many common aspects.